Department of Fruit and Organic Production
The Department of Fruit and Organic Production carrying out the duties of the competent authority for organic production in the EU MS, in the Slovak Republic.
The Department of Organic Production focuses its activities to consumers protection, to official controls and related activities at all stages of organic production. The Slovak Republic delegate for the EU meetings in EU Institutions is the employee of the Department of Organic Production.
The professional duties and responsibilities are stated in EU legislation, namely Council Regulation (EC) No. 834/2007 as amended, Commission Regulation (EC) No. 889/2008 as amended and Commission Regulation (EC) No. 1235/2008 as amended. The official control duties are stated in the Regulation of the European Parliament and Council (EC) No. 224/2004 in actual wording. The Slovak Act No. 189/2008 declares the special national system of organic production performance in the Slovak Republic.
In accordance with the relevant legislative standards the Department of Organic Production performs the following tasks and duties in order to have the system of organic production on professional level the Slovak Republic:
- is the competent authority according to EU legislation
- manages the register of
- control bodies ,
- issues authorisation to private control bodies for performance of:
- control activities of organic operators at all stages of organic production and
- certification of organic produce
- performs supervision upon the activities of authorised private control bodies,
- registers operators in Slovakia and keeps updated register,
- notifies and cooperates with EU institutions and with the competent authorities of EU Member States and third countries, and as well with the control bodies/ control authorities of EU Member States and third countries,
- the Slovak organic production delegate: compiles positions and comments to the EU proposed pieces of legislation, participates at the EU institutions´working meetings (in the European Commission and in the Council of EU) where represents the views of the Slovak Republic
- professionally covers all the organic production activities: plant production, wild plant collection, animal production, food processing, feed processing, seed processing, labelling, marketing, storage, import, export, control and certification
- assess non-organic inputs into organic production system: fertilizers, soil conditioners, plant protection products. And compiles The list of permitted fertilizers and soil conditioners into organic production, The list of permitted plant protection products into organic production which are published in the Official Journal of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of the SR . Evaluates the dossiers of substances used for cleaning and disinfection of buildings and equipment in animal husbandry for their possible utilization in organic production. Compiles a list of permitted substances used for cleaning and disinfection of buildings and equipment in animal husbandry;
- imposes financial sanctions to operators and as well to authorised control bodies in case of non-compliance with the obligations stipulated in the Act and in the EU Regulations
- imposes financial sanctions to those who mislead the comsumers with unproper labelling